High tunnels are low-cost, passive, solar greenhouses which use no fossil fuels for heating or venting. High tunnels can provide many benefits to horticulture crop producers:
Download the paper High Tunnel Melon and Watermelon Production
- High tunnels are used to lengthen the growing season of crops.
- High tunnels protect the growing crop from environmental stress such as drought, driving rain, wind and temperature extremes.
- High tunnels protect crops from insect and disease invasion.
- High tunnels are well suited for producing heirloom and specialty vegetables which require a specific growing environment.
- High tunnels permit intensive crop production on a small area of land.