Lewis W. Jett, State Vegetable Crops Specialist, Department of Horticulture, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65211-7140
heating or venting. High tunnels can provide many benefits to horticulture crop producers:
- High tunnels are used to lengthen the growing season of crops.
- High tunnels protect the growing crop from environmental stress such as drought, driving rain, wind and temperature extremes.
- High tunnels protect crops from insect and disease invasion.
- High tunnels are well suited for producing heirloom and specialty vegetables which require a specific growing environment.
- High tunnels permit intensive crop production on a small area of land.